Sunday, May 4, 2014

No Load Investment?

A recent episode of Moyers and Company, brought the movement to divest from fossil fuels into the spotlight again.  The tactics of the fossil fuel industry one of the leaders spoke of sounded like many of the tactics that the firearms industry and it's lobby are doing now. 

I have spoken before about my desire to see an effort to divest from firearms, much as activists urged divestment from tobacco, or businesses that supported the apartheid system of South Africa.  And, as reported in the Huffington Post, that effort has started.

The Campaign to Unload's "Unload Your 401k" campaign, provides a tool to allow people to see if their 401k is invested in firearms companies.  According to this, my own 401K might be, and I may do some additional research to be sure, as much of my 401k is probably in an index fund that would include firearms manufacturers and likely other businesses I'd find unsavory.

I am aware there are options out there, my electronic issue of The Nation includes advertisements for Domini Social Investments and I am sure there are 401k funds that would follow similar criteria. 

I didn't use a Starbucks cup until they got some gunsense, why should my limited investments be any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment